Thursday, March 15, 2012

Teething: The Joys {and tears}

Yesterday, was one of those days.  Preston was MISERABLE. Nothing I did made him happy.  I'd put him down and he'd cry. I'd pick him up and he'd cry. I put him in his walker and he'd cry {this is my, no fail, go to solution when he is fussy}.

Finally, it was dinnertime, and I put him in his high chair {he threw a fit}. I served up some avo, pear & steamed carrots.  This made him happy for about 10 minutes.  Then he started rubbing his food all over his tray, and or course, cried and cried.

I then turned on the TV {don't judge}, at least it was a show on PBS.  I was desperate! This kept his attention for about 15 more minutes.

Then his Dada came home, and it was all smiles, for about 10 more minutes.  The closer it got to bedtime, the worse it got.

Then it was time for his bath. He loves bathtime. So that kept him happy for another 20 minutes or so.


Teething....a perfect way to steel the joy from a baby. I wish I could understand the pain that Babies go through when they teethe.

Yesterday was the worst I have ever seen him.  I am hoping it doesn't get worse than that.  He has four teeth right now, and he is working on 5 and 6. On the bad days, NOTHING makes him happy. The littlest things upset him.  The only thing that remotely helps are naps.  I try not to give him a lot of meds, but there are days he is so unhappy that he needs it. Advil seems to work the best. There is nothing fun about a baby who is in pain.  The sound of crying ALL DAY, will drive even the most patient person crazy.

Usually, after he gets a set of teeth, he has about a break for a month, until the next set.  This set was different, he got his front two, and then immediately has proceeded to get his next two top teeth. NOT FUN!!


Here are a few things that have worked for me to relieve his pain:
~ A sippy cup full of ice and water
~ Those ice packs, used to cool burns or bumps and bruises (we call them boo boo ice).  They usually have a cover on them to make them not so cold. The regular frozen teething toys, were too cold for Preston, he cried when chewing on them.
~ Frozen wash cloths.  He loves sucking on them.
~ Frozen fruit in a mesh bag, like this one.
~ Sometimes, while teething, Preston has a really hard time winding down and falling asleep. A good cuddling session in the rocking chair, helps calm him down, and get him ready for sleep. {Plus, us Mama's get some quality baby time in}

I hope that if your little one is having a hard time with teething, some of these tips and tricks work for you.  Also, if you have any that work for you, I would love it if you'd share them with me. I am always looking for ways to ease my little boy's pain.

I miss this happy boy....
Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

Happy Thursday, Folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment