Thursday, November 24, 2011

Sugar Crusted Vanilla French Toast & Giving Thanks


Happy Thanksgiving, Friends!!  There are so many things I am thankful for today.  Here is a list of just a few:

  1. You! Thank you all for being loyal followers!
  2. My Husband. He is my best friend & my rock. He is there for me whenever I need. I can laugh with him, cry with him, and be my weird crazy self with him. I love you so much, Babe, thank you for being you.
  3. My Sweet Son. You have changed my life in so many wonderful ways. I dreamed of you for years and now you are finally in my life. You brighten my day! I love you so much!
  4. My Family.  They give me the support and love I need when the times get tough. Without them I am not sure what I would do.  I am truly lucky to have so many who love me so much. 
  5. My friends. You can't go through life with out friends. They make life so much fun! Thank you to all my friends, for all the times we have laughed, cried, talked and shared memories.  You help make my days fun :)
  6. My job.  I have one of the best jobs out there. It helps me give my son the things he needs, and meet wonderful people.
  7. My Four Legged Family Members. There are times when no one can cheer me up besides them.  Pebbles' licks and Dodger's cuddles are so special to me.
  8. Sleep. I don't think I have ever been so thankful for sleep.  It took me 4 months of getting very little to enjoy a full nights rest ;)
  9. My Health. Without my health I couldn't be a good Mama & Wife. It helps me be there for my family, friends, and those that need me. 
  10.  Those Special Little Moments.  I am thankful for those moments that make me giggle, bring happy tears to my eyes, or make my heart smile. Those moments make this crazy life worth living. 
Looking back at this list makes me realize how blessed I am. I couldn't ask for more.


I hope that you take a moment this Thanksgiving Day to reflect about what you are thankful for.  I hope you all have a wonderful day with friends and family. 

I will leave you with a yummy breakfast treat. This is great when you are entertaining or have house guests. You can do majority of the work the night before.  Enjoy!

French Toast:

-1 smallish baguette or crusty loaf of bread, cut into 1-inch slices (about 1 lb loaf)
-Mixed Berries
Custard
-3 large eggs
-1/2 cup mil
-1/3 cup heavy cream
-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
-1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-pinch of sea salt
Sugar Coating
-1/2 cup (1 stick or 8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
-3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
-2 tablespoons light corn syrup
-1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cooking Supplies Needed:
-1/2 Cup
-3/4 Cup
-1/3 Cup
-1 Tablespoon
-1 Teaspoon
-1/4 Teaspoon
-9x9 Inch Pan
-Large measuring cup or pitcher
-Saran wrap
-Baking Sheet
-Large Microwave Safe Bowl or pot
-Whisk

Preparation

1 Day Ahead:
Butter a 9×9-inch pan on the bottom and sides. Place the bread slices, standing up, in the pan. Set aside while preparing the custard.
In a large measuring cup or pitcher, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and salt until well combined. Pour the mixture evenly over all the bread slices in the pan. Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Next Morning:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the french toast casserole from the refrigerator and set it on a baking sheet.
In a large microwave safe bowl or heat proof large glass measuring cup, melt the butter in the microwave till just melted (about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on high). Add the brown sugar and corn syrup, whisk well to combine. Microwave on high again in 30-second bursts (two to three times should be enough) till the sugar is melted and the mixture is bubbly and hot. Gently whisk in the vanilla extract. (Alternatively, you can do this process in a pan on your stove top.)
Carefully and evenly pour the sugar mixture over the french toast casserole, covering each slice well. Place the casserole, on the baking sheet, into the oven and bake until puffy all across the pan like a good bread pudding, and is golden and baked through, about 40 to 45 minutes depending on how packed your pan was. The casserole will deflate as it cools. Serve warm with mixed berries.




Xoxo- Jamee

No comments:

Post a Comment